Rutgers University– New Brunswick Walking and Running Maps
The ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) recommends at least 10,000 steps every day to improve health and reduce your risk of chronic disease.
10,000 steps/day = approx 5 miles
There are several ways to track your steps through your smartphone apps or a regular tracker.
6 Simple Ways to Increase Your Step Count Throughout the Day
1. Play a Sport such as Basketball or Soccer
(about 100-200 steps/min depending on sport)
2. Take a Lunch Break Walk and Enjoy the Outdoors
(3mph walking = about 100 steps/min)
3. Use a Study Break Walking Laps up and down stairs
(about 90 steps/min)
4. Grab your Flashcards and Study on the Treadmill
(4mph walking = about 152 steps/min)
5. Clean your dorm/house
(about 78 steps/min)
6. Jog the long way to the gym and use it as your warm-up!
(about 156 steps/min)
How are YOU going to reach your GOAL of 10,000 steps?