Our goal at GO Outdoors is to provide a multitude of opportunities for outdoor recreation to the university community, while giving students the resources to help them become confident and capable leaders in the backcountry and in their daily lives. The position of Student Facilitator is a volunteer position aimed at developing student leadership skills through immersive experience in outdoor recreation.
Student Facilitators are responsible for leading groups of students, faculty, and staff on a variety of outdoor excursions, including but not limited to: hiking, camping, backpacking, climbing, kayaking, and biking. Many of our participants are first-timers or beginners, thus facilitators must have very strong interpersonal skills and an ability to adapt to the needs of any group. GO Outdoors serves not only its student staff but the whole university community, so Student Facilitators must have the skills to facilitate participant development whilst maintaining a safe and positive environment for all involved.
Students are compensated for their work though a variety of field experiences, certifications, and trainings. Facilitators are expected to attend and complete all training opportunities offered through GO Outdoors.
Applicants for the position of Student Facilitator should know that this is a student development program that should be taken as seriously as any other job. Previous leadership experience is highly recommended and an interest in further leadership and personal development is required. Extensive outdoor experience is NOT required but will be taken into consideration.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Lead outdoor adventure based programs, of the activities listed above.
• Responsible for the logistical planning and implementation of programs and the policies and procedures of the Rutgers Outdoor Recreation Program.
• Must maintain a strong interpersonal and professional commitment when working with peers and groups.
• Holds themselves and others to the highest degree of respect, promotes diversity, creates an environment that supports and encourages individual differences regardless of race, sex, religious, background, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic conditions.
• Responsible for maintaining the knowledge and skills of adventure based programs and will facilitate only within their current level of training. They will continue to train and work to improve their current skill level under the appropriate standards.
• Facilitators assist in the repair and upkeep of equipment that is being used and rented and will be required to conduct a monthly inventory.
• Maintain the highest level of physical, emotional, and mental safety for all participants.
• Must abide by the philosophies of both the full value contract and challenge by choice.
• Will abstain from the use of alcohol, consciousness altering drugs, and sexual activity or misconduct with participants or other staff members during outdoor recreation trips and programs.
• Good Academic Standing
• Must attend 1 staff training per semester and 1 meeting per week
• Must facilitate or assist on at least 4 programs per semester
• Defensive driving
• Valid Driver’s license