The GO OUTDOOR RUTGERS Program facilitator is responsible for leading groups in the outdoors while ensuring the safety of trip participants, staff and equipment. These trips and programs will consist of backpacking, rock climbing, kayaking, canoeing, camping, mountain biking and ropes course workshops. The facilitator must be in good physical condition and maintain professional work related practices: safety, alertness, responsibility, initiative, courtesy, good judgment, cleanliness, and the ability to work with all ages.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Lead outdoor adventure based programs, of the activities listed above.
• Responsible for the logistical planning and implementation of programs and the policies and procedures of the Rutgers Outdoor Recreation Program.
• Must maintain a strong interpersonal and professional commitment when working with peers and groups.
• Holds themselves and others to the highest degree of respect, promotes diversity, creates an environment that supports and encourages individual differences regardless of race, sex, religious, background, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic conditions.
• Responsible for maintaining the knowledge and skills of adventure based programs and will facilitate only within their current level of training. They will continue to train and work to improve their current skill level under the appropriate standards.
• Facilitators assist in the repair and upkeep of equipment that is being used and rented and will be required to conduct a monthly inventory.
• Maintain the highest level of physical, emotional, and mental safety for all participants.
• Must abide by the philosophies of both the full value contract and challenge by choice.
• Will abstain from the use of alcohol, consciousness altering drugs, and sexual activity or misconduct with participants or other staff members during outdoor recreation trips and programs.
• Good Academic Standing
• Must attend 1 staff training per semester and 1 meeting per week
• Must facilitate or assist on at least 3 programs per semester
• Defensive driving
• Valid Driver’s license